Back Forum Reply New

Tree fungus on Silver Maple

This Fungus or whatever appeared on my silver maple over night.Its growing on the rotten part of the tree.Now I dont know if its a fungus or something else?If you could take a look at the pictures i attached and let me know what it is that would be great!100_0748.JPG

100_0749.JPG

100_0750.JPG
Thanks for all your answers and help,,,,,,Jeff

What you are seeing are fruiting bodies of wood decay fungus. There is dead wood, and its decaying.
The reason the wood is dead, is the trunk has been girdled by a bird feeder. As a result of improper mounting of the feeder, the whole side of the tree has now become a potential hazard. Because of the extenxive decay, it's possible that side of the tree could fail. You should have it checked out by a professional arborist, and stay out from under it.
Sorry to bring bad news.

That looks like sap to me.  It may or may not indicate a real problem.  I would have an arborist check out the decay you are seeing though, especially on a tree that size.

Originally Posted by BayouTreeThat looks like sap to me.  It may or may not indicate a real problem.

It is not sap, and it does indicate a real problem.

Did you look at the third picture? The fruiting bodies are located on dead wood. Look up 6" or so from the "sap" and you'll see the bark has already fallen off.

It does kind of look like Pine sap, but this is a Silver Maple and I don't know how Pine sap would get on a Silver Maple. Sap from a Silver Maple is not viscous, it has the consistency of water. Also sap does not flow from dead wood.

Even if it was sap, which it's not, the falling bark indicates a need for a tree inspection and very likely some remediation work.

Originally Posted by Mike MaasDid you look at the third picture? The fruiting bodies are located on dead wood. Look up 6" or so from the "sap" and you'll see the bark has already fallen off.

Did you look at the first and second picture and see the drip on the upper fruiting body?  Do you have an ID for the fungal species?

Either way I did see the dead wood above the "fungus" and so did the homeowner.  That is really what needs attention.

looks to me that that stem was removed,and then a bird feeder was nailed on top of the flat stub...the stem behind the stub is of about the same diameter and looks to be one and the same.being a large co-dominate leader their is no way for it to compartmentalize and check the spread of the decay fungi that is well on its way of helping the tree lose support yup get an arborist with good diagnostic skills to help determine how much decay is presant and go from there...sorry not familiar with the fungus pictured, but appears to be feeding on dead wood...good luck
¥
Back Forum Reply New